Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Comparative Thinking

The things occurring right now mean very little because nothing inherently causes suffering, but comparing them to a time when life was considered better than it is now is where all suffering arises from.

This article is to expand on yesterday’s post a little more deeply because this subject is so important in the understanding of one’s conditioning. Here’s why wanting things different causes suffering because the moment is being compared to a time when things were the way one thought they should them. The things occurring mean little because nothing inherently causes suffering, but comparing them to a time when life was considered better than it is now is where all suffering arises from. Here are some of the ways that comparative thinking patterns control life, at least for me. Driving home from work during the week there’s usually heavy traffic, I think of a time when there’s wasn’t any traffic and that’s how I want it when there’s traffic. When my wife is in a bad mood, I want her to be in some previous mood when she was more loving. How about when I order a dessert that brought me so much satisfaction last time I had it, I’m thinking of that time, but the dessert this time is just not the same. Here’s one I think everyone goes through, when someone dies I compare that to when they were alive and alive is how I want them.

So much comparing leads to so much suffering. These are but a few, finding you own comparative thinking patterns will take awareness they exist. If this isn’t seen they will remain in control and this control will go on all day; from the very moment one begins their day. The alarm clock goes off and most people instantly think of a time when they could remain a sleep and that’s only the beginning. Maybe it’s chilly in the room and one thinks of a time when the room was warm and that’s how they would prefer it. Please take this serious because this can change the way life is viewed, but that’s only if one thinks they need their view of life to be different, and that’s only if one is comparing their life now to a time when it was considered to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment