Monday, October 10, 2016

Perception or Peace

Life happens, but not truly in the way one thinks it does and only when the mind settles will it be seen it’s not that important because what truly matters is not to be right, but to be at peace.

The other day I was talking to my brother about something that occurred about thirty years ago, I remember it vividly one way and my brother remembers it another way. It’s pretty amazing how the same occurrence is remembered so differently, with both of us insisting it occurred the way each of us remembers it. There is neither a right or wrong here, although my brother insist he’s right, this is just the way perception works. It wasn’t a significant occurrence so there was no reason to discuss it further, but the point is we both see it as it’s remembered and there’s no telling what really happened. It’s always one’s perception of what occurs that makes something a perceived truth, but it’s only a truth to the one who perceives it that way. Truth of something is very difficult to decipher because of perception, to me the important thing is to defuse the ego in needing to be right by saying “how important is it” this takes the egos energy away.

I could have argued with my brother it was the way I remember it, and to me it still is, but regardless if it was the way I saw it or the way he saw it, it really means nothing in the grand scheme of things because it adds no value whatsoever to life. Perception is one thing, attaching to it and making it a part of the story of who you are is where it’s taken to another level. Perception is there, but attaching to the idea that things are as they’re perceived is where one’s delusions gets reinforced. It’s not that things don’t happen in life, it’s just that they’re not truly in the way one thinks they are and only when the mind settles will it be seen it’s not that important because what truly matters is not to be right, but to be at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment