Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Truly Content

The contentment which most seek is mostly contingent on something from the outside, if this or that happens then I’ll be content, but true contentment comes from within and doesn’t need anything to be…

Thinking about being content isn’t the same as allowing contentment to arise just because that’s what’s there. This seems to be difficult to grasp and it’s because one can’t think their way to true contentment. Stories can be made up that makes it seem as though one is content, but it never last. The contentment most seek is contingent on something, if this or that happens then I’ll be content, but this is another lie of the Conditioned Mind, and there are many. All kinds of examples can be used, if I win the lottery,  job promotions, end of pandemic, holiday off from school or work, children getting A’s in school, new car, you can add your own contentment attachment to the list. The point is, this list is endless and whatever it is that is attained I guarantee you the contentment it brings for that moment will not last. I have been off from work for twenty one days, but tomorrow I go back. True contentment can only arise if life is seen as one continuous event and there isn’t a need to have it different; this is how fleeting contentment is and how contingent it is on something for it to be.

The contentment mentioned in the beginning of the article arises because it’s what’s there, it’s not contingent on anything, therefore it is true contentment; I would put it right along side the peace that passes all understanding. I experience both of these everyday for most of the day and it comes from within. I don’t make it happen, but I am aware of my thinking which is a direct hinderance to true contentment and this is because you can’t think your way to being content, you can only think your way to a surface contentment which is contingent on something from outside yourself; the key to true contentment is not needing right now different. I know this is difficult especially when things don’t go your way, but the alternative is to want things different and keep searching for a contentment that will probably remain elusive until the day life in this form ends…

No comments:

Post a Comment